Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So...my lawn melted....

Synlawn? I can think of a better name for it! How about S*@!lawn! After 2 days, it started to melt! Before I could even enjoy it, I had about a 1 foot by 22 foot long strip that melted! And worse, it is getting deeper into the yard every day! I bet it is almost 2' wide now! It is the section closest, although still 3 1/2' away, from the house. Synlawn claims the melting is due to sliding glass doors and windows on the house reflecting light onto the glass, which is like a magnifying glass and melts it......hmmmm......ok....except for a few small items...

1. Are they crack? Seriously. This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know, because my understanding was that this product was made for the "out-of-doors", where hazards such as heat, windows and sunlight are kind of "the norm". Especially in LAS VEGAS.

2. Are sliding glass doors and backyard windows unique to only my home? Just speculating here, but don't almost ALL homes have sliding glass doors and backyard windows!?! Isn't one of the points of landscaping so that you can look out the BACKYARD WINDOWS and enjoy the view?

3. Although the windows are of varying lengths and widths, the melting is extemely consistent throughout the 22' length of my yard, with the most damaged areas being several feet to the side of the nearest window. Who knows, maybe this will have an unexpected and happy ending, as it seems the windows on my home are able to bend light, making time travel and cloaking devices finally possible!

4. Shouldn't this stuff have a pretty high heat tolerance? Last time I checked, I live in the desert.
5. How do I know it's not just defective grass? If so, will the entire lawn eventually melt? Is the melting plastic lawn giving off toxic chemical fumes all day? Is it same to walk on? Crawl on? Maybe I am not concerned ENOUGH!

And oddly enough, I have yet to find even a single mention on the internet about melting synlawn, melting artificial grass or melting artificial turf...has it never happened before? I suppose I never even considered the possibility of it melting. Like, "Duh", it's made to be outside, of course it doesn't melt"....DUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anihoo, Synlawn says they will replace it, (they haven't yet), although I want to figure out how to keep it from melting again, if the windows are indeed the cause, before they do replace it. I doubt they will replace it a second time. Maybe I should just demand my money back, although I'm sure I would lose my lawn and have to pay more for someone else to do it and risk having the same issue....

Moral of the story? BUYER BEWARE! If it seems too good to be true...IT IS!!! So sad. I loved my perfect lawn;-(

Well, I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress of this Tale of the Turf.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! that really stinks! (actually, literally, I bet it does...) I bet it does have something to do w/ the windows. Unless you have a giant concave mirror somewhere near your backyard. The other day when Dave and I went to the temple for a wedding, and when we came back, we had a hole burned in the glovebox because stupid me left my concave mirror on the floor. Although it wasn't a whole lawn, it still reeked!

OmaMary said...

Hey Carly, I still say that you should contact the Attorney General's office and file a report if they don't FIX IT. By fix it I mean just that, fix it, so that it is no longer a problem. We discussed the TV station's consumer rights as well. With the city of Las Vegas wanting people to replace their real grass with the fake stuff, I am sure that they would be interested in the many ways the consumers could be ripped off. Make an example of these guys. If they are still selling a knowingly defective product, (knowingly now because of your complaint)they have some explaining to do. Check with Marc on this, but I would think that once you know something is having problems and still sell the product you can be sued for misrepresentation, or failure to disclose facts. Just saying. Hopefully there is a win/win for both of you. Good luck.

Tolman Tribe said...

Wow! The backyard is looking good but the melting definitely sounds like it's dragging on things. How is that possible? Insanity!

Rachel said...

I didn't know your lawn MELTED!! Oh no! It was so beautiful too! Oh, and that post "poopsucka"... totally, totally gross. Jeremy and I were just laughing and laughing. I can't even imagine.

Perry Family said...

Carly!!! Saw your blog off of the gwins' hope you don't mind!! We thought really hard about getting synthentic grass, but it just came down to having a dog and needing real grass. That stinks it melted!! HOLY MOLY!! I hope it all works out!
~Stacy Perry

Randy Eickhoff said...

Carly

Can you let me know the outcome? We just our synlawn melt after 2 1/2 yrs of use. we do have 2nd floor windows and live in Simi Valley where the summers do get hot. What is strange is that the melting started showing during the winter and has these weird parallel lines across them. We had the synlawn guy come out and look at it. He said that melting due to window reflection isnt covered. A couple weeks ago, another area started to do the same thing AND at a different angle AND IT IS STILL C-C-C-COLD here...

What was your resolution?

thanks,

Randy Eickhoff
randy.eickhoff@taxprojectsgroup.com

Randy Eickhoff said...

Carly

Can you let me know the outcome? We just our synlawn melt after 2 1/2 yrs of use. we do have 2nd floor windows and live in Simi Valley where the summers do get hot. What is strange is that the melting started showing during the winter and has these weird parallel lines across them. We had the synlawn guy come out and look at it. He said that melting due to window reflection isnt covered. A couple weeks ago, another area started to do the same thing AND at a different angle AND IT IS STILL C-C-C-COLD here...

What was your resolution?

thanks,

Randy Eickhoff
randy.eickhoff@taxprojectsgroup.com

cwsherwoodedits said...

Hi Carly,
I don't know you but I've been Googling melting artificial turf lawns (from a different company) and came across your post. Did they ever determine exactly what was causing it (ours said a window too but it's spreading so much that my husband isn't buying it... and he doesn't want to put window film on without it being conclusive.) We're in Southern California where it can get hot, but we're near enough the ocean that it's never SUPER hot. I'm so upset about this, and just wanted to know what your outcome was... we just don't know what to do.
Thanks for whatever information you can give me.

drake28 said...

Windows can cause magnified reflections that may cause synthetic turf to melt if it is in the direct path of that reflection. The magnification from some Windows is so powerful that it can melt sprinkler heads, kiddie pools and other plastics. If you do have Windows, call the manufacture and ask them how to remedy this problem. Tinting the windows is usually sufficient

E said...

Our artificial turf is in progress of installation today and a strip has already melted. The landscaper mentioned the window which is a south facing. At 5pm, we stood at the path and felt the heat. It could be worst in the mid-afternoon. We bought Gila glare control and hope it will work for us. We have to yet install them.